Blast from the Past

Posted on July 30th, 2012 by

After WWII, Gustavus faced an immediate housing crisis. Enrollment on the rise as veterans were returning from the front and enrolling in colleges. St. Peter citizens opened their homes, the interior of the football stadium was turned into housing for men, the St. Peter Armory basement housed about 60 Gustie men, and the trailers pictured were brought in for veterans and their families.  They were placed in the parking lot by the old Myrum Fieldhouse (is now in what is now the main lot by the Campus Center). In March 1946, 529 students were enrolled; by the start of the 1946–47 year, enrollment had was at 1,127.

 

Comments are closed.